I decided I want to try something a little more challenging. So why not a airplane? When I was young I made a balsa wood model of a Supermarine Spitfire. It took me days to make, the result was pretty good, and it was a lot of fun. I figured why not try to make the plane again only out of Coroplast plastic.
The first thing I did was Google 'spitfire plans balsa wood', and found this...
|Plans for a Balsa Wood Spitfire|
With the first attempt I cut out plastic in the approximate shape of the plane and started gluing. The fuselage I simply glued three pieces side by side. The wing and horizontal stabilizer (rear wing) is one layer of plastic. The prop is a simple cross and the landing gear is two small circles on sticks.
What turned out is ugly as sin, but it kinds looks like a Spitfire, and I learned a lot making it.
The next attempt was like the first only I used 5 layers of plastic at different lengths to try to match the shape of the fuselage. I split a sheet of Coroplast down the middle. Cleaned out the remaining ridges and attached strips to the plane to give it a sleeker look.
I glued strips of plastic over the edges of the wings and tail to hide the hole. For the propeller is five pieces, glued closed at one end and attached in a 'star' shape to the nose cone.
It is definitely coming along. This second try does look a lot better, but it is still not quite right.
Version number three. Like the last try I used 5 layers of plastic at different lengths to try to match the shape of the fuselage. Once again I split a sheet of Coroplast down the middle and cleaned out the remaining ridges only this time I wrapped the sheet around the fuselage. It gave me nice rounded edges and a very sleek look. Now it is getting dialed in.
The strips glued on the open edges looked wrong. This time I filled in the holes with hot glue. It took three coats to cover, with a little excess cut off. It looks much better than strips.
The propeller is once again five pieces, this time glued completed flat to look more like a propeller blade. The props are individually attached in a 'star' shape to the nose cone.
The addition of cannon and machine guns, plus a canopy and some paint, and it is really coming together. It is amazing how a little bit of paint can make a model come alive. It is almost there but it is still not quite right.
Here is the last try. I liked how things turned out so I did everything the same as version three. I was just a little more careful with the glue and cutting. A little more elaborate paint job and PRESTO. A World War II British Spitfire ready to take to the sky.
Please check out our other sites - HalifaxSportsPhotos.caTippinators.comCoroplastCreations.com
|Let me know if you have any questions|
|Photos courtesy of |