I started working on a World War II Tiger tank. No real reason, I just wanted to see if I can do it. I picked the Tiger Mk1 because there are a lot of straight edges so assembly will be easier.
The first thing to do was get some detailed plans. I came across 3D modeling plans which were perfect.
1. I started with the crew compartment. Two simple boxes stacked on top of each other.
2. Next was the turret. Rounded in the back with a flat front. The barrel is a split piece of Coroplast®, rolled and glued. The barrel evacuator and muzzle brake are just extra layers of split Coroplast®. Adding the hatches on top of the turret really starts to bring the model to life.
3. Just to make sure everything looks 'right', and there are no problems with scale I constantly dry fit pieces to test.
4. No tank is a tank without tracks. These are strips of plastic with every second row removed on one side. It makes a perfect flexible facsimile of an actual tank track.
5. I added one small strip of plastic to the inside of the track so there was enough surface on which to add the glue.
6. Now that it has trcks I attached the skirting that covers the tracks on the sides and front. The front also got a view port for the driver, machinegun port, driver's hatch, an angled glacis, plus a short piece of track attached to the glacis.
7. Some skirting added to the back, along with exhaust ports and external fuel tanks.
8. A coat spray adhesive promoter so the regular spray paint sticks.
9. The a coat of hammer metal spray paint from the hardware store, and a thin coat of black acrylic paint taht is immediately wiped off to add a weathering affect.
10. - 12. Various angles of the finished tank. I added some brown around the tracks, and dry brushed metallic copper to add a little rust.
|Let me know if you have any questions|
|Photos courtesy of |